On Aug 12, 6:13 am, "Michael Geary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Help me out here, I'm a little confused. :-)

I'm trying. :-)

> For example:
>
> JSON: { "test":"value" }
> JSONP: myCallback({ "test":"value" })
>
> As you can see, the JSON part is the same, but putting it inside a function
> call makes the whole thing executable code that will run automatically when
> the script is loaded - assuming of course that you have defined a
> "myCallback" function.

I havn't gotten the "ah ha" yet here with JSONP. :-)

What is executed?  Is JSON syntax considered "code?"  A little flow
description might help.
hmmmmm,  I think I got it.   I can populate a web page with JSON data
and process it when the page loads or  get it from AJAX, and with the
callback, pass and process the JSON data?

> So the API side is straightforward: provide a REST API with XML, JSON, and
> JSONP output formats.

Correct.

> I was just working with Flickr's API and it's a perfect example of this:

Yes, I've took a look at the Flickr API when Thomas Stiener made
reference to them as an example of a REST API with JSON/XML.

> I have no idea what "Web 1.0 format" is. A purely server-based API?

I read a management summary describing the latest, lack of a better
term, as Web 2.0 and for lack of a better term, the older stuff as Web
1.0.  Web 2.0 includes AJAX, FLASH, FLEX, APOLLO that provide the
hyped term "Rich Web sites"   WEB 1.0 is traditional HTML code. No
AJAX. No Javascripting or very little of it.   But I don't see how
that doesn't provide "Richness" <grin>

DHTML (Dynamic HTML) is another older term for "ajax" like activity,
but to me that often reflected older ideas like XML binding (Non
XMLHttpRequest based) and/or server-side template processing with
server-side scripting engines.   To me, WEB 2.0 also relects the idea
of "interactive I/O" as it is possible to keystoke an (expensive)
action to the server and get a response - once we get to that point
where its feasible to do so - oh boy! <g>

> OTOH, if you want to provide some really nifty client apps, jQuery is a
> great way to do it.

RIght.  Pretty nice stuff.  Once I get the JSON "ah ha" I will be able
to move on. :-)

I do have to double check some work.  jQuery seems to have a problem
with evaluating scripts in HTML results, something the other library,
like prototype.js does not.

--
HLS