I'm looking for something that will wait inside the function until it
has the data to return, so not the callback type system that currently
exists.
Something that will mimic this type of stuff will do too.

e.g.
function test() {
  $.ajax stuff here
  return data; // return data from the ajax request
}

var bler = test();