On Aug 15, 2:33 pm, "Brandon Aaron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for sharing this. Use the minified version instead of the packed
> version for even better file size savings. :)

i experimented on that. i expected the new YUI minifier to give better
compression (as it does on all of my plugins), but it only compresses
jQ to 30k. i got the best jQ compression using a PHP port of the
Edwards Packer:

http://wanderinghorse.net/computing/javascript/#packers

In any case, the different pack/min techniques will give different
results on different inputs. On very small JS files MIN is normally
better because of the PACK overhead (just under 200 bytes, i think).
On large files, PACK tends to beat out MIN, but this isn't always so.
YUI minifier is damned good, at least on my code, but it seems to not
be the best packer for jQ. Anyway... the point is simply to experiment
and find the best one for your purposes. A couple K either way
probably isn't going to kill anyone.