Do you need to have a seperate css class for each list item?

If they all visually look the same, I would have only 2 classes, one for the
selected element, and one for all other elements.  If this was the case you
could do something like this:

$('.unselected').click(function(){
   $('.selected').attr('class','unselected');
   $(this).attr('class','selected');
});