You should consider a new acronym for your group. Adobe just release a piece
of software called AIR (Adobe Integrated Runtime) and they're putting lots
of marketing dollars towards it.

  _____

From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kenneth
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:51 PM
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] [OT] A Good Cause: AIR (Accessibility Internet Rally)

I am reposting this from March, as this year's events are coming up really
soon. Please read! :)

I know many of you here share my desire to produce accessible websites, so
what more can we do though, besides that which we practice in our current
roles? Well, for those of you who would like to put your design ||
development skills to good use by helping a non-profit organization (NPO),
you should check out AIR, hosted by Knowbility:

http://knowbility.org/air/ - AIR: Accessibility Internet Rally

>From the site, here's the rundown of how it works:

1. Form a web design team of up to four professionals and register your team
with an AIR programs in your area.
2. Choose a training dates and sign-up to receive valuable accessibility
training and access to free online accessibility testing software.
Participants MUST attend the basic training. All registered team members
also have the option to attend advanced accessibility training, which
includes how to use CSS, javascript and other advanced technologies for
maximum accessibility.
3. Attend the matching kickoff party and meet your nonprofit "client."
4. Use the lead time to plan the site with your nonprofit partner.
5. Attend the Rally Day, collect your T-shirt and goody bag and build your
entry web site for your nonprofit partner.
6. Come to the awards dinner and celebrate the good work of everyone and
recognize the winners...which might be you!

I'm not sure about the other cities, but I know AIR:Austin takes place in
the fall. Also, there are other modes of participation, such as volunteering
to help run the event, or program sponsorship.

Also from the site, here's a list of 10 reasons why you should participate:

   1. Your whole team gets the bonding experience of learning together how
and why to make web sites accessible to people with disabilities (and PDAs
and cell phones, and...)
   2. All the coolest people have participated - frog design, Catapult
Systems, MediaTruck, Bazzirk, IBM, Dell, Team Navanax, Nion, many many more.
   3. Networking - get up close and personal with your peers in the industry
and some of the very artists who keep Austin weird.
   4. Access to new accessible design tools - and the folks who make them.
   5. AIR judges are experts and become your friends.
   6. Progress party, kickoff party, wrap party, awards party - BIG FUN!
   7. A copy of the definitive accessibility book - Maximum Accessibility -
is given to each team.
   8. Your work featured in all AIR-Austin publicity.
   9. Do good for a nonprofit arts, environment, or social service
organization.
  10. You could win!