alexfoxy wrote:
> The problem occurs when you hover over both tooltip and icon
> underneath, it begins to flicker.
> I know why this happens, but I don't know how to solve it.

If you mean the quickly toggling on and off when your mouse is near
the right side of the item, this happens because the so-called
"hotspot" of the mouse physically changes when the mouse pointer
switches between "pointer" mode and another mode. When this happens,
the hotspot is over your item when the mouse is in "pointer" mode, but
then the hotspot moves out of the item when it switches to its
different mode. This is an unfortunate detail that we cannot fix at
the JS-level (it's more a problem with the window manager or desktop
environment, IMO, since it doesn't take care to keep the hotspot
consistent).

BTW, the "hotspot" is the part of the mouse pointer which is actually
used for coordinate determination. When you have a pointer-style mouse
pointer the hotspot is obvious - the tip of the pointer. When you have
a hand-shaped or cursor-shaped pointer the hotspot is not so obvious.

For a great example of this problem, visit:

http://wanderinghorse.net/computing/javascript/jquery/spoilers/demo.html

and put your mouse near the far right edge of the first "Spoilers"
entry. When positioned properly you can see the mouse pointer
switching modes. When it does the, the hotspot moves, which has the
unfortunate side-effect of performing a mouse-out event because the
hotspot is no longer in the widget.

So... the "fix" is to keep your mouse pointer somewhere away from the
far right edge of the tooltipped item.