Sorry about not replying sooner, I was offline after I posted last
night.

Pops:
About passing parameters:
I tried to follow the example in the jQuery docs of using
jQuery.extend to handle optional parameters to functions - I think
it's like using named notation for parameters in PL/SQL - i.e. foo(bar
=> 5) would be foo({bar : 5}); in javascript. I agree that there isn't
really a standard though, and it wasn't quite clear from my comments
how it should work. Options is just a javascript object.

As for the single vs multithreaded issues, I understand what you said,
and I'm doing some googling to try to determine how setInterval is
handled (particularly because it is not part of any specific
standard).

Ganeshji,
I think that a periodic ajax updater would be a nice addition.

I'm thinking that the jQuery ajax object could be extended with an
additional parameter:
{ periodicFrequency : 10 }

This would then perform an ajax call every 10 seconds. There would
need to be a way to stop execution of the periodic call as well. Hmm,
something else to think on.

Thanks for the comments. I'll see what I can come up with.