I use $("[EMAIL PROTECTED]"]) to get any input elements whose id ends
with MyID (i.e. whatever you set in your ASPX page). Either that, or
use a class instead.

As for the 2nd question, I don't use anything other than the basic
controls (repeater, dropdownlist etc - DataGrid's and GridViews I
don't use) as it helps keep the HTML clean. It also means that any
code I write will be pretty portable (i.e. very little modification
needed to get it to work with PHP, JSP, CFML etc).