On 8/19/07, Mitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I make it auto it works great, but when I click on new search the
> entire
> frame shifts to the left a few pixels and I am stuck on why.

I got the same thing, and I don't think you're causing it. When "Search
History" is collapsed, the entire application appears on screen, so there's
no need for a vertical scrollbar. When it's expanded however, part of it
extends past the bottom of the screen, so the browser creates a vertical
scrollbar.

Since you have both margin-left and margin-right set to "auto" (because the
centering technique won't work without this), they auto-adjust themselves
whenever the width of the viewport changes. In Firefox, Adding the vertical
scrollbar causes the width of the viewport to change slightly, causing the
margins to auto-adjust themselves, which causes the shift we both noticed.
The solution, then, is to force the scrollbar to always appear -- if it's
already there when "Search History" is expanded, then there are no
left/right margins that need to be auto-adjusted. Something like

body {
    height: 100%;
}

Usually does this, but I don't think it'll work in your case since you seem
to have a bunch of wrappers that are absolutely positioned, so you may want
to use an explicit value that you know will trigger the vertical scrollbar
instead.

--
Aaron Heimlich
Web Developer