Specifically I was confused that the ID was missing from the pics
container.

Besides adding an ID to the container code I suggest that your js
download contain a sample of ONE effect, the images and css.

Lots of people do that and what is so nice is you can open there
index.htm and immediately have it working, then start modifying or
insidertinto your own code.

Mitch