John,
What version of jQuery are you running?  And what are your browser
versions?  Also, <style> tags must be placed inside the <head> tags.
jQuery makes it easy to manipulate DOM styles from AJAX data, but if
you would like to import styles as inline HTML you must style each
invidual element using its style attribute:
<element style="foo: bar;" >

Charles
doublerebel.com