Glen,

I will try that command later - thanks.
The alert works but the document.write tells says 'undefined' in my
html.
I am trying this command:
  $.get("total.php",{}, function(txt) {alert(txt);});
  document.write(txt);

This is the output to my html file
  Total daily water savings pledged: XXX,XXX
   undefined

I try the command with a 'document.write' instead of an 'alert' inside
the function
and it gave me the correct number but that is all I would get.  The
rest
of my page did not display.

Thanks,

Nestor