Many thanks for the redefine doc.write() suggestion!  It didn't work,
but it was certainly a good idea. ^_^

I updated http://dreamwolf.us/demo/jqscript_button.php with the
redefined document.write(), but it still does not solve the issue of
the Thawte image replacing the page.  I added a second button that
calls the altered document.write() to append some plain Jane text to
the #thawte container div (for proof of concept).  That button works
nicely in every browser I tested.

Results of the "Insert Thawte" button:
  IE 7:  Nothing seems to happen (throbber throbs but nothing changes)
  Firefox 2.0.0.6:  Same as before (replaces page contents with image)
  Safari 3.0.3: Same as FF
  Opera 9.10:  Works as Intended (Yay, Opera!)

Is the remote doc scoped separately?  Is document.write() semi-
protected?

Pyro