You are trying to reference the showPhotos div in your script before the
closing tag for the div. I doubt if the element has been added to the DOM at
this point. Move the script after the closing tag and see if that works
better. You could also use a $(function() { ...your code here... });
wrapper, but it's probably sufficient to move the code after the closing
tag.

Perhaps you were thinking of document.write()-style coding, where it would
be natural to put your script in the middle of the tag it writes content to.

-Mike