Thanks for your answers.

Emil you are right at saying that it is not a jquery issue.
Its even more a formsess issue than a smarty issue, and thats why your
solution
wont work.Because of the formsess filters it produces something like:

##FS_SMARTY_LDELIM##ldelim##FS_SMARTY_RDELIM##required:
true##FS_SMARTY_LDELIM##rdelim##FS_SMARTY_RDELIM##

So I'm looking more for a jquery solution.
Sam your solution goes in the direction I'm looking for, but it
produces an error:

I tried with class="[required: true]"
and added $.meta.cre = /(\[.*\])/; in the jQuery(document).ready(

Firebug says :  invalid property id

                Line 98

                in green: data = {[required: true]}

-Olivier