Yep, unfortunately there's really no way around that. We had to make
that change so that there wasn't massive leaks and slowdowns on adding
events. IMO, having fast event adding and no leaks is better than
having slow global event triggering (which is pretty rare).

I should clarify that we only run this query if a listener has been
bound for it. If not, there's no hit.

--John