In the real world, things dont always happen instantly.

A sliding door (like on Star Trek) opens with a whoosh.  I am sure they
"could" have built a door "shield" that was opened instantly rather than a
whooshing door.  Especially with their futuristic technology.  However,
people like the whoosh.  It's possible to have it too long, like
whooooooooooooooooooooooooosh.  In which case you bump into the door with
your nose (i.e. Supermarket Doors) or "whsh" in which case it feels like the
"power" it turned up too high, which is jarring.

The perfect effect is timed to the Goldilocks principle.  Not too quick, not
too slow, not the instant the user puts their mouseover, not waiting too
long to fire, not too much bounce, not too robot-like.  It should be
"just-right".

Glen