jack.tang wrote:
Hi John

$ shortcut is convenient and it also make the namespace pollution so
easy.

Here is my reply to Rey

     jQuery.noConflict();

    // Put all your code in your document ready area
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    // Do jQuery stuff using $ ->[ time 1 ]
    $("div").hide();
    });

    // Use Prototype with $(...), etc.
    $('someid').style.display = 'none'; -> [time 2]

    // -> [ time 3 ]

@Rey: Conflicts still exist. Here is the case:

   1. 1. event "call_me_later_function" is attached to some element at
[time 1], the whole thing may look like:

          var call_me_later_function = function(e){$("a.clickme").href
= ...}
          $("div#call_me_later").bind("mouseon",
call_me_later_function)

      NOTE: I put $ in the later-fire-event.
   2. 2. at [time 3], whole page loads completely.
   3. 3. then, event "call_me_later_function" is triggered, but you
see, $ has been changed

Bind-early-and-execute-later is nightmare of these $s.

What is the problem with avoiding to use $ in the first place? jQuery allows that very easily and goes great length to allow that.

I think the bashing here is not justified.

--Klaus