On Wednesday, September 05, 2007 1:09 PM Jörn Zaefferer said:

> http://jquery.bassistance.de/autocomplete/

I'm confused by this plugin. Is it meant to restrict the input to a predefined
list of options ONLY or should it also allow new entries along with a
predefined list (or both)?

I'm just coming into this thread so hopefully this hasn't already been
mentioned. I didn't see it in the Known Issues section on your site.

Depending on the answer to my first question I think there is a big usability
flaw in this. When typing an option that doesn't have a match the autocomplete
list stays open and active. This shouldn't be the case.

For example, on the demo page, typing "Lo" selects "Lockbourne" but typing
"Los" doesn't dismiss the list. "Lockbourne" is still highlighted. If I press
tab (to go to the next field in the form), "Lockbourne" is entered into the
field. This is confusing and frustrating. It's very difficult to enter a value
other than what is in the list.

If this plugin is meant to restrict form input (in text fields) to a predefined
list I would suggest that it be modified just a little. When someone starts
typing something that is not in the list it would be great if the autocomplete
box responded that it is aware of what's happening. The list should be replaced
with a warning like: "That is not a valid entry.", "That option is not
available.", "Invalid option", "Option unavailable" etc.

Regards,
Chris.