It's better if you download jquery into your own space and load it from
there, rather than retrieving it from jquery.com.

Within the script tags you need to wrap the jquery code inside a ready
function so that it doesn't get run until the DOM is ready and scripts have
loaded. So try ...

<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(function($){ //shorthand version of
jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $("a").click(function(){
        $(this).hide("slow");
        return false;