Are you including the Dimensions plugin as well? The tooltip plugin requires Dimensions. If you download the zip bundle from the Plugin Repository, it should come with a file called jquery.dimensions.js. That's the one you should reference in the <head> of your document before you reference jquery.tooltip.js.

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com