Pops schrieb:
3) If a compatibility module is required, and is considered important
for 1 and 2, then this module should be transparent and MUST be part
of the package.  Not buried in release notes.

4) If a framework is in FLUX (not stable,. it should be CLEARLY
labeled in the web site) so that people do waste time with a package
that isn't considered ready for prime time by its author.
And how would you evolve an API?

I think John's approach for evolving jQuery is already very good. I'm sure 99% of those compability issues are solved after a week, and instead we get to see much less issues over the next months or years, due to the API improvements that have been done.

What we may be able to improve is the "flux"-phase: John added all methods that were helpful to replace to-be-removed-methods with 1.1.4. Unfortunately hardly any plugin author, including myself, did bother updating his plugins to 1.2 before it was released. The UI project may be there already, but it hasn't been released yet.

-- Jörn