> What does OK mean?
It means, that I'm getting the expected output.

>What's the problem?
The problem is that after calling e.parents(), arguments gets cleared
out and is afterwards empty, but only when parents( 'li' ) is empty.

>How are you trying to use this function?
I have a recursive tree with an unknown depth. When a leaf is clicked
I want to navigate to the top of the tree. I know this may not be the
best approach, but I'm having a deadline and right now "best
performance" is not top issue. However it will be in the future, but
then I will have enough time to investigate all possible ways of doing
this.
So, when a leaf (leafs are wrapped in <span>) is clicked, I select all
parents that are <li> and check each one <li> to see if its direct
parent is( 'ul.treeview' ). There is one situation (see P.S.):
1) a leaf with depth >= 0 is clicked ==> parents( 'li' ) is not empty,
but after calling it arguments points to the same object as
parents( 'li' )

P.S. I had an incorrect wrapping of <span> and <a> and that was the
reason for parents( 'li' ) to return an empty object. Now it always
return the correct <li> parents of the curent element. But the problem
remains - other variables inside the same function are changed and all
the same: parents( 'li' )

Thank you.

Nikola