You have to love undocumented features :)

Using the debugger I noticed that all of my columns were being parsed as
'text' so I downloaded the unpacked JS (I'm not much of a fiddler) and
looked for the parser names the script was looking for. I should have done
this before I assumed that 'date' worked. The actual name in the script is
'isoDate' (or 'usLongDate', or 'usShortDate' depending on your date format).
I used that and it works fine! So 'date' is not a valid parser unless you
add it yourself of course.

For the record, and anyone else searching, I'm using the following init
function and all the features are working perfectly:

$("#sorttable").tablesorter( {cssAsc:"sortasc",cssDesc:"sortdesc", headers:
{0: {sorter: false},1: {sorter: false},6: {sorter: false},5: {sorter:
"isoDate"}}, sortList: [[2,0]], widgets: ['zebra']} );

Thanks muchly
Miles