Before giving practical solutions, I'd like to invite you to think
about this question. Is this a server-side or a client-side matter? In
other words, does this have to do with the server-response or the
server-request?

It's obvious that it's server-side because it has to do with the
server-response. How do you get the server to send only the value you
need?

The reply above gives you a valid solution in PHP. Another solution
would be checking the $_GET[] variable to see whether "task" is set to
"checkname" and respond according that info.

if ($_GET['task'] == 'checkname') {
 // print var;
}
else {
 // print page;
}

A more sophisticated way of handling this would be using the switch-
statement.

switch ($_GET['task']) {
case 'checkname': {
  // print var;
} break;
case 'page': // fall-through
default: {
  // print page
} break;
}

Or you simply create a new file that explicitly handles AJAX requests.

HTH,
Rick