As far as I can tell, this can't be done cross-browser. Firefox has an
xhr.channel object that has both the original URL, and the redirected
URL in various places, but there seems to be no such thing available
in Safari 2. And xhr.getAllResponseHeaders() gives the headers for the
post-redirected page only.

I didn't try Safari 3, IE, Opera, etc.

If it was really important, you could do some voodoo with sending
along the current URL as a custom response header that you could then
check against. Or, depending on the scenario, maybe you'd be better of
using a different HTTP status code, or using a JSON object and do your
"redirection" client side.

--Erik