$("#mySelect option")
$("#mySelect option:selected")
$("#mySelect option:selected").attr("id);
$(#mySelect")[0]  //the actual dom node.

All untested, but should be ok.

Firebug in Firefox has all kinds of neat tools for this.
In the script tab, put a watch for $("#mySelect") and you can inspect the
object.
If its an array, the number in [] would increment.

Glen