So I just realized something interesting. This whole thing is done
within a .mousemove(). The mouse move function will stop any existing
animation and (re)start a new one. However, When the mouse is moving
the animation stops even though the mousemove function has yet to be
evoked. The mousemove function is only evoked once the mouse stops
which would be acceptable if only the moving mouse didn't stop the
animation for no explicit reason.

-Idan