On Sunday, September 23, 2007 5:40 AM Bil Corry said:

> Mahir wrote on 9/21/2007 11:02 PM:
>> the datatype collaboration is utf8_unicode_ci in mysql. it retrieves
>> value as ??????
>
> I'm guessing you mean the UTF-8 replacement character " ":

It's probably showing up as questions marks. I had this same problem.
BUT...

> <http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/fffd/index.htm>
>
> That would suggest the data coming out of your database isn't
> actually encoded in UTF-8, but is being displayed in UTF-8.  Some
> browsers helpfully detect charset mis-matches and will automatically
> switch to the correct encoding, and others don't.
>
> Are you certain the data stored in the database is actually in UTF-8?
> Do you have an example page that shows the problem?

...you're very likely right about this part. As I said, I had this same
problem that the original poster explaiend and it turned out that there
was a hole in my UTF-8 flow in my PHP code.

Start at
http://www.mail-archive.com/jquery-en@googlegroups.com/msg14899.html to
see the original thread I made and how I ended up solving it.

Chris.