Chris W. Parker schrieb:
Hello,

Maybe this has everything to do with implementation and is not a fault
of jQuery but I've always wondered why animations (like slideDown) do
not finish smoothly.

Case in point: http://leandrovieira.com/projects/jquery/lightbox/

The animation is smooth until the very end where it jumps to completion,
skipping several "frames" of motion. Why is that? I've noticed it in my
own basic animations too.

This problem is ever when you have set a margin or padding of animated objects. What change the height!
I try this CSS on this page in EditCSS in Firefox and animation is smooth:

#lightbox-container-image-data {
        padding: 0 10px;
        color: #666;
height:7em;
}
#lightbox-container-image-data #lightbox-image-details {
        width: 70%;
        float: left;
        text-align: left;
}