OK, forgive my tone here...I'm actually quite flabbergasted.

I ***FINALLY*** get around to trying out jquery.

Oh, I'm sure that quite obviously I'm doing something wrong, because
after following the first few paragraphs of the "How JQuery Works"
section (clicking a link launches an alert box...uh ok, no fine) it
does absolutely nothing.

Wow.

So far the javascript skills required for testing this are sub-fetal
so I can't imagine what black magic I might possibly have introduced
into this 79Kb albatross.

No, OK, I won't condemn it yet, but can somebody enlighten me?

(I thought this would be easy.)