As always, the golden rule is "know thy audience".
Using a tool like Google Analytics allows you to see browser capabilities,
screen resolutions, javascript enabled/disabled.  All of these things help
you decide what is best for your site.

With that said, search engines (SEO) do favor html links over image links.
Sometimes, I think we overestimate screen readers, but underestimate search
engine rankings.  Search engines still make up the majority of web
navigation.  This should factor into your design.

Using the philosophy of progressive enhancement, one could start with HTML
links and then use jQuery to replace them with Image rollovers.  Using the
LiveJQuery plugin, you could still bind the hover the way you normally do.
This enhances presentation with those browsers that can, and still provides
perfectly good html for those who cant.

Glen