When you get that error in Firebug, it's almost always because the jquery.js file has not been included or your reference to it is pointing to the wrong location. Take a look at "Setting up the HTML Document" beginning on page 8, especially this part on page 10:

After the stylesheet is referenced, the JavaScript files are included. It is important that the script tag for the jQuery library be placed before the tag for our custom scripts; otherwise, the jQuery framework will not be available when our code
attempts to reference it.

If you're still having problems after checking that out, let us know.

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com