.parernts('.switch')[0]

Sorry about the typo. Should be .parents('.switch')[0]

--Karl

On Oct 5, 2007, at 1:53 PM, Karl Swedberg wrote:

Forgive me if this has been answered already. Seems like I'm getting emails dumped into my mail client in a random order.

To use a DOM method on a jQuery object, you first need to convert that object. Fortunately, it's easy to do by adding either [0] or .get(0) after the selector:

        alert($(this).parent(".switch")[0].className);

Also, your selector finds only the direct parent. If you need to go up more than one level, you could use .parernts('.switch')[0] instead (with an "s" at the end).

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com