Yes. That certainly would have been an issue if I were doing the
testing on an XHTML 1.1 page. In fact, however, I'm doing it on a kind
of "gateway" page that gives access to more than one distance-learning
courses, only one of which (a Calculus course) needs the full MathML
capability. So I serve the gateway page and all the non-Calculus
course pages as XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

If someone using IE6 or IE7 then wants to access the Calculus course,
I additionally check for the presence of DesignScience's free
MathPlayer plugin (http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/).
When running this plugin on IE it has the effect of overwriting the
DOCTYPE of the XHTML 1.1 pages, making their content available as text/
html.

Ed Martin