Thanks a heap for your help James, after lots of trial and error I
managed to track down the source of the problem.

It's a very curious IE issue, your examples work fine provided you
don't try to access document.stylesheets first, if you do then that
seems to kick IE off on a parsing spree.

Oh well, all fixed now, thanks for your help.

Andy.