Here's something a little strange.

Now, in both FF2 and IE 7, the validation doesn't
until I hit enter to submit or click the submit button/
Once that happens, all validation messages show up, and
from then on the validation happens as it should.

Here's my validation code, js file references, and an HTML sample
for error messages display... am I missing something?
Everything validates in Firebug...

        <script type="text/javascript" src="../js/jquery-1.2.1.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript"
src="../js/jquery.validate_1.1.js"></script>
        (I renamed the validation plug-in so I could keep track of the
versions...)

        <script type="text/javascript">

        // $.validator.defaults.debug = true;

        $().ready(function() {

                $("#calendar_add_form").validate({

                errorPlacement: function(error, element) {
                  error.appendTo("#" + element.attr('id') + "_error");
              },

                focusInvalid: "false",
                                 event: "keyup",

                        rules: {
                                                event_name: {required:
true},
                                                event_description:
{required: true},
                                                event_date: {required: true,
date: true},
                                                event_time:     {required:
true},
                                                event_location: {required:
true},
                                                contact_person: {required:
true},
                                        entered_by:     {required: true}
                                                },

                        messages: {
                                                event_name: {required:
"Please enter a name for the event."},
                                                event_description:
{required: "Please enter a description of the event."},
                                        event_date:     {required: "Please
enter the date of the event. (Format: Feb 12, 2007)",
                                                     date: "This entry must
be a valid date. (Format: Feb 12, 2007)"},
                                        event_time:     {required: "Please
enter a valid time for the event. (Format: 10:00 am)"},
                                                event_location: {required:
"Please enter the event location."},
                                                contact_person: {required:
"Please enter the contact person's name."},
                                                entered_by:     {required:
"Please enter your name."}
                                                }
                        })
                });

</script>

HTML for error message display:

class="error"></div>

        (This part is for the server-side ColdFusion validation)

        <cfif IsDefined("form.fieldnames") and
IsDefined("form_errors.event_name")>
                <cfoutput>#form_errors.event_name#</cfoutput>
        </cfif>