Hi,

I'm trying to implement an autoSave function on my web application.
Something that automatically saves the contents of the current field 6
seconds after the last keyUp.  It works, but I can't clear the multiple
setTimeouts triggered on each keyUp event.
Example:

        $("input").keyup(function(){
                var self = this;
                var upd = setTimeout( function() {
                        updateField( $(self) );  // function outside $ scope to
update field
contents in dB
                },6000);
        });

I must've tried about 27 permutations of clearTimeout, setting flag
variables, nullifying variables, etc.  Nothing has worked.

To be clear, I need to "restart the countdown" to update the field if a user
presses another key within 6 seconds of the previous letter.  I'd rather not
be shooting off POSTs on every keystroke ;)

(BTW, I've used the onChange event before, but for text inputs, the user has
to manually tab/click out of the field to trigger that event)

Thanks,
_________
SEAN O
http://www.sean-o.com