Hello Giovanni,

To be able to send a file via AJAX with jQuery you need a plugin
because jQuery doesn't know how to post a file via AJAX.  There is one
that works quite well, you can see the demo for it here:
http://www.phpletter.com/Demo/AjaxFileUpload-Demo/  -  I think it's
not compatible with jQuery 1.2, at least it wasn't for me, but maybe
some one can answer that question here for us.

To submit a form without clicking on a submit button, you can use
".change".  So if you have an input with the type of file and a class
name of "image" you can use the following code:

$(document).ready(function() {
     $(".image").change(function() {
          alert("You just selected a file to upload!");

Hopefully some one can answer the question about the Jquery Ajax File
Upload plugin ...

Sincerely,
Maggi