It's my opinion that wording needs to be changed on the front page.

That's been the source of so much confusion on this list, not to mention the
people who never even post about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bil Corry
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:02 AM
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] Re: Minified jQuery?

Eli wrote on 10/23/2007 10:54 AM:
> I've noticed that on the front page of jQuery.com there is a new
> version for download, the minified and gzipped one.
> now it says that it weighs 14k, while ont he google download page, it
> says 46k.
> downloaded, and indeed, it's a 46k js file.
> what gives?
>
> where is the minifieing & gzipping coming in?

It's a 46k minified file.  To get the 14k size, you have to serve it via a
web server that has gzip compression enabled AND the browser must be able to
accept gzip compression.  If the browser can't accept gzip compression, or
if your web server can't serve it using gzip compression, then it's 46k for
the browser.

- Bil