Hi Rob,

the jQuery library is licensed under two licenses - MIT and GPL.
Taken right from the jquery wiki:

"jQuery is currently available for use in all personal or commercial
projects under both MIT and GPL licenses. This means that you can
choose the license that best suits your project, and use it
accordingly."

It looks like you would want to use the MIT license for your project,
where there are no limitations on whether you modify the code,
including compression/encoding somehow.  It does not extend to any
code you write outside of the library.

reference:  http://docs.jquery.com/Licensing

Hope this helps you.

peace ~ Jt