This is my first post on the mailing list...but I have been an active
community member from the beginning.  I don't feel that this mailing
list is what defines the community.  People are blogging about jQuery
everyday.  I blog about it constantly.  Look at the bug track system
jQuery uses...it has new bugs submitted everyday.  Its community is
actively making it better through bug reports.  That doesn't need to
happen in the mailing list.

Imo the mailing list was set up for the early stages of jQuery when
the community need something to rally around.  Now there are dedicated
sites set up to help evangelize jQuery and make it better.  Third-
party developers/authors are writting books and code to help teach new
users how to use jQuery.

The community even extends into the workplace where coworkers are
teaching other coworkers the benefits of jQuery and how to use it.  In
my office those coworkers are the new interns that come in as the full
time developers are already active participants in the community.

Need more proof of an active community?  Look at the documentation.
It's edited and updated by the users.  Look at the recent updates and
see how often it's updated per day.

The community is thriving and it's extends far beyond a simple mailing
list.  You just need to open your eyes and see it all around you.