Thanks webrocker,
sorry for my frustration. I solved this myself and saw your reply
which was exactly what solved it. In the sortable plugin you can
declare a new object as a .Sortable. I was a bit lost about "listen"
and "live query".  Still a couple of things I am not sure about:
- I think you need the .ready part but this script is at the bottom so
I guess not
- The id="newitem" is adde to every new element. That is really not
correct to have a lot of elements with the same id?

But for any others frustrated this does the following with the
sortable plugin
(http://interface.eyecon.ro/docs/sort):

- makes .Sortable objects of list items
- adds a new item to the list
- the new item is also sortable

Sometimes I make things so complicated when they are not :-)

<ul class="items">
        <li class="sortableitem">Item 1</li>
        <li class="sortableitem">Item 2</li>
        <li class="sortableitem">Item 3</li>
        <li class="sortableitem">Item 4</li>
</ul>
<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(
        function() {
                $('ul.items').Sortable(
                        {
                                accept :                'sortableitem',
                                helperclass :   'sorthelper',
                                activeclass :   'sortableactive',
                                hoverclass :    'sortablehover',
                                opacity:                0.8,
                                fx:                             200,
                                axis:                   'vertically',
                                opacity:                0.4,
                                revert:                 true
                        }
                )
        }
);

$("#additem").click(function(){
                        $('ul.items')
    .append('<li id="newitem">new item</li>')
    .SortableAddItem(document.getElementById('newitem'));
                });
</script>