On Nov 13, 12:26 am, pd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just thought I'd re-iterate that I didn't post this item to whinge or
> whine about dodgy code being invalid or unecessary.

No need to be defensive, you pointed out a legititmate bug.  Safari
might not have the  browser-share of IE or Firefox, but it runs pretty
much a dead heat for third with Opera and Mozilla.

> I wrote to highlight a difference in behaviour between a relatively
> obscure browser and the rest. AFAIK that is one of the big goals of
> any library - to pave over the cracks in the 'platform' the library
> sits on top of. I'm not expecting jQuery to have behaved differently
> in this example as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that John
> considers overly detailed error messages and debugging options to be
> the job of a plugin, if anything (does such a plugin yet exist?).

It's not an issue with jQuery but with Safari 2.0.4 (and probably
earlier versions too).  I don't think any javascript library can gloss
over bugs related to otherwise legal syntax. I just wanted to point
out that there is no need to invoke the bug as there is a work around
that is considered better form anyway.

--
Rob