There is certainly an opportunity for exploring validation. However,
if you allow HTML, and do not moderate input, then you will always be
open to an individual using invalid markup. I like to think of the
plugin as more of providing a tool, and not a lock down mechanism. As
strong as regular expressions are, creating one to detect for invalid
placement of a tag (or close tag functionality) is very difficult. For
instance, Karl referred to jTagEditor, which has very robust
functionality. However, if you type in a tag, and simply give it an
attribute like "class" or "id", then attempt to use the built-in close
tags, it will fail.

Thanks for the feedback - these are all things I want to continue to
consider.

Brian