You should explain HOW do you worked around hiding the option in IE.
What do you need to do exactly?
I had the opposite problem some time ago, I was all cursing Firefox,
for not respecting the selected="selected" on refreshes.
You could force the selectedIndex to 0 (or something else) on start,
or use a cookie to remember the last selected option and force it to
be the selected one.
If this is not enough.. then explain a bit what do you want IE to
do..

Ariel Flesler