I agree that this feature is sorely needed.  The wiki being the "old"
way of posting plugins, may not be kept up to date with current
versions or new plugins.  It's always a guess as to what category
something might be in.  What is the definition of some of the
categories like widgets, tools and user interface... why would a
plugin be in one and not the other?

I see that "Accessible News Slider" is in Animation (slider part I
guess), Utilities, User Interface, Widgets... and I stopped looking
after that.  Apparently there is confusion for plugin developers as
well when they need to put their plugin in at least 4 categories.