I'm trying to get a simple ajax load going, like the example on this
page: http://docs.jquery.com/Ajax/load#urldatacallback.  My source
page is this xhtml file:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<head>
charset=utf-8" />
              <title>test</title>
</head>

When I try $('#destination').load('/test.xhtml? #content'); nothing
happens.  If I remove the <!DOCTYPE> tag from test.xhtml, it works
perfectly.  But then test.xhtml it is no longer XHTML, it is XML, and
I must be able to view test.xhtml as an independant XHTML file.

Is jQuery incompatible with XHTML, or am I doing something else
wrong?  Any debugging steps would be appreciated.  Thank you.