I have a very ugly piece of html coming off a server that I am trying
to make pretty.

So far things have gone well, I have been able to manipulate the html
using jquery as well as the Tabs and frames plug-ins.  However, I have
one out standing issue.  I would like to section the content of the
page into divs.

Currently it is a long series of tables as below:

As you can see the sections are already defined, in a very poor way,
by the pagestart class on the first table of a group.  I would like to
wrap all the tables starting with a pagestartclass, up until the next
pagestart class with a div element.

I have tried using

$("#example table.pagestart").each(
           function(i){
               if i==0{
                 $(this).before("<div id=tableSet"+i+">");}
               else{
                 $(this).before("</div><div id=tableSet"+i+">");}
             })

However, this does not work, because the before function always
expects a complete element and my html ends up like this.

Which leaves me in the same situation as before.  Is there a way to do
this, does anyone have any creative suggestions?  I would really hate
to have to hand code the javascript parsing of the dom and inserting
of the tags.

Thanks,