+1 to this, particularly as the only way out of an accidental first
selection is to close and re-open the datepicker. As an additional
sweetener, it would be great if the unset date defaulted to today's
date (i.e. if a user selects only a start date, the end date gets set
to today and vice versa).

Many thanks Marc and Keith for an excellent plugin.